1/30/2010

Christ against culture?

So I'm presently reading a book called Christ and Culture, and there are a lot of different views on our relationship with the world and what the Bible says about humans and culture. It's really quite interesting. Anyway, one of the viewpoints is Christ against Culture. One of the examples used in this viewpoint is Tolstoy, a famous Russian writer from the 19th century. Tolstoy believed that the Church was a creation of the devil. It was an interesting take on the church that I have never heard and it made me think. Why did Tolstoy hate the church? Some people can see why he would say that, like the church should be growing and take on the culture so the church can be better used for the people, but there is a line that could be crossed that can make the church evil. Take for example the move of individuals who wanted to live a life of solitude when Christianity became tolerated. Why would they do such a thing? There are some good reasons why, but didn't Christ say before he left this earth to go into all the world and proclaim his name?
I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, but I think its interesting to think about these things and wonder why. Wonder why people did the things they did. I'm not an advocate of Christ against culture, I really believe that we can be set apart from the world, but still be a part of it, but I like to wonder. Any thoughts?
I'm outs.

1 comment:

stephsharpe said...

And when I mean that there is a line that the church can cross, I don't mean church as in the body of Christ, but as an institution.