1/18/2008

Things I've been thinking about

So I was supposed to go on my first missions trip to Brazil during spring break, but I'm afraid its not going to happen. The missionary that was to host us and take care of us has to take care of his sick mother. Very sad, but true.
So since the Recife, Brazil missions trip is cancelled there are other opportunities to help people. There is one where we'll be on a missionary boat in the Caribbean or going to a mission trip in Peru, Guatemala, New Mexico, Arizona, and other such places. Please pray for me and my teammates.
Pro. 21:30 "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD."
Anyway, in other news I've started thinking over me living on campus next semester. If I join the honors program, which i might do, I would have to live on campus, there is no way I'll be able to catch up on my reading while living at home with my dad. Last week i was praying about it, and out of the blue my dad, who didn't know I was thinking about moving on campus next semester, asked me how much it is to live on campus. I was quite shocked and I told him, he said that it wouldn't be a bad idea of me living on campus next semester. So I'm still praying over it, but I'm pretty sure God has answered my prayer because I've stopped worrying about it.
Another thing that has been on my mind is the world. I don't mean the entire world, but I mean worldly v. godly kind of thing. I am all against abortion and I do think that living in a homosexual lifestyle is sin. But I am too about pro choice and gay rights. Well you might think I'm trying to be politically correct, but I think this brings some controversy to Christin believers. How can I be against abortion, but pro life? How can I say homosexuality is sinful, but let the gays have their rights? Well I've been thinking about this for the past 2 weeks, maybe longer, but on and off, and I think I finally came to an understanding.
I've come to agree that the world will never change and that it will always choose the flesh over the spiritual. But this doesn't mean I can't change people. I can not change the world, but if I change one person, I've changed their world. Abortion is something of the world, I will fight against abortion till I die or if Jesus comes back down to take his people to heaven with him. But I am not against prochoice. God has given us free will, we can either choose our own fleshly desires or godly desires. If we had no choice then we can all believe Calvin and that it is by God’s choice that we go to hell and heaven and that John 3:16 is all wrong.
So it also says in the Bible that living a homosexual lifestyle is sin, its abominable. Well does that mean that they do not have rights? Murder is sin, so I guess the government is doing something right about taking away their rights, but lying is also sin, there’s no rights taken away from us, me included. Sin is sin. I don’t agree with the homosexual lifestyle, but that is something that is part of the world, I can’t change the world.
So what do I do? Well pray to God that He will bring people in your life that you will or already love and make a difference in their life by showing them Jesus Christ. And you know what? Jesus takes care of the rest.
John 3:17 “For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” Who are we to condemn? Be an instrument for God and help save people from being condemned at death.
I'm out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...i haven't been on blogger for months, but I saw this post and I felt compelled to comment on it.

Steph, it is essential that we stand for what we believe in. If you think that abortion and the homosexual lifestyle is immoral than fight against it. Anything else is appeasement. You are not fighting against abortion if you're pro choice. This is not a matter of free will. God gave us free will and reign over our own lives, not the lives of others, in this case, a child. As for homosexuals, it depends on your definition of "gay rights". Should they have the right to live their lives without fear of being arrested or beat up? Yes, they should. Should they be able to marry and adopt children? No, that is a perversion of God's plan for mankind and he expects us to stand against it. Does that mean we hate and judge the homosexuals? No, they are God's creation just like us and we need to reach out to and deliver them. It is our responsibility to push and fight for a godly nation and world. We need to fight for change. If we can do anything through God as the Bible says, can we not change the world? I believe we can and we will.

stephsharpe said...

We can't change the world because the world is into the flesh, it can not change, but we can change people because they can change. Thats more my point.